Link That Thing... With ThingLink!
Mathematics Teacher in a 1:1 iPad Classroom
Hill Country Middle School, Austin TX
Apple Distinguished Educator
ThingLink Expert Educator
Book Creator Ambassador
Kahoot! Austin Advisory Board
What is ThingLink?
ThingLink is a leading platform for creating interactive images.
Make your images come alive with video, text, links, and more!
How do I create a ThingLink?
- Have a general idea of the ThingLink's topic(s) ahead of time.
- Usually, I create the background image using Keynote and export it as a JPG image. However, any image will do, even a photo!
- Upload the image to ThingLink and strategically add "nubbins" that include text or links to other things.
- Sign up for a free basic education account! https://www.thinglink.com/edu
Using ThingLink for Pre-Teaching
1. First, explore the ThingLink below SILENTLY and INDIVIDUALLY for 1 minute.
2. Next, discuss ideas you learned from the ThingLink with your group for 2 minutes.
3. Finally, each group's spokesperson will share two UNIQUE ideas learned from the ThingLink.
Scavenger Hunt Strategy:
Create a list of questions students should be able to answer from the ThingLink. Allow them to work in pairs for a set timeframe, then have students share out their answers.
Using ThingLink to Introduce Academic Vocabulary
ThingLink as a "Table of Contents"
Create a ThingLink with frequently-visited links, and embed it on your teacher website.
Once ThingLinks are created for specific topics, add new resources as you find them later.
ThingLinks are never truly "done".
Create a "Playlist" for Differentiation
Create a ThingLink Packed With "Anchor Activities" for Students
The purpose of an anchor activity is to provide meaningful work for students when they are not actively engaged in classroom activities.