Grade Mayfield City Schools
The Mayfield School District has taken on a grading system that is different from what most of districts in the state of Ohio are using. This system was implemented 2 1/2 years ago and is called Standard Based Grading (SBG), which is linked to the national Common Core initiative. While in theory and intention the SBG system for K-8 may be good, its implementation seems to be another matter, which is raising serious questions and concerns among parents in the district. The most important one being, as one of very few districts across the state with a rating of "Excellent with Distinction,” as well as meeting all indicators on the state report card, why did the entire educational grading process for our children need revamping?
Here are just a few more questions and concerns with which you might be able to identify:
- Why is it so important to grade on a 4, 3, 2, 1 scale?
- Is it true that even our Kindergarteners are being graded on a 4,3,2,1 scale?
- What about my child, who works hard, completes all his homework but struggles taking tests?
- How many of you had your child come home and say, "I'm not even going to bother studying, I can't get a 3 (or 4) no matter what.”
- How is this going to effect the competitiveness when my child applies to college (with scholarships)?
We are a group of committed parents who are trying to better understand Common Core and SBG. We want simple answers to these and many other questions regarding how Mayfield City Schools are teaching and grading our children. We want to share what we know and hear any concerns that you might have.
Parent Forum 1: Join us on Thursday, May 15th at the Highland Heights Community Center at 7:30 PM. Below is the address:
Highland Heights Community Center
5827 Highland Road
Highland Hts., OH 44143
How to contact us:
Want to get on our mailing list? Please fill out the secure form below and add ADD ME to the message. You can also email us at grademayfield [at] gmail.com. Feel free to ask us any questions that you might have.
You can also find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/grademayfield/
Below if a flier that we created that you are free to download and send to other parents in the Mayfield City School District. Click here for a secure link to the download.