English @ RHSS
Feb 23rd, 2015
8:45 - 9:15
Grab an Ipad
Handy Gestures and Shortcuts
- Double click the Home button to view all open windows. Swipe up to close applications
- When in an app, use all 5 fingers to pinch the window until it disappears to close the app
- Quickly search the Ipad for apps by swiping down on the homescreen to bring up a search field. Start typing the name of an application to find and open it
- Split the default keyboard to make typing while holding an Ipad easier by clicking and holding the keyboard button on the onscreen keyboard
- Have the Ipad speak selected text. To activate, go to settings and select speech in the General folder. Select the topmost option 'Speak Selection'. When one highlights text, along with copy/paste, there will also be a 'speak' option
- To lock an Ipad's orientation, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and select the lock icon.
- To quickly take a screenshot, click the Home button and Lock button at the same time. The Ipad's screen will flash white and the camera notification sound indicates the screenshot is successful. The picture is now in the Camera Roll
AirPlay and AirDrop
Airdrop is a feature on all Apple devices that allow direct communication between separate devices. Turn Airdrop on by swiping up from the bottom of the screen and selecting Airdrop -> Everyone.
- To send files, open a picture/video and select the share icon
- To receive files, simply turn Airdrop on and click 'Accept' once a file is shared
Airplay is a feature on most Apple devices that allows for wireless screen mirroring. To mirror your screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and select AirPlay. All available Apple TV devices will appear. Once you have decided which Apple TV you'd like to connect to, select it and click Mirroring.
9:15 - 10:30
Interactive Whiteboards refer to capturing ink and/or voice annotation in video format. Interactive Whiteboards can be used by teachers to:
- Create instructional videos
- Assess student work
- Communicate with students, parents and colleagues
Interactive Whiteboards can be used by students to:
- Capture their own learning
- Create presentation/walk through videos
- Efficiently collaborate remotely
10:30 - 10:45 - BREAK
10:45 - 11:30
Desire2Learn and Office365
Office 365 Mobile Apps for Students
11:30 - 12:45: LUNCH
12:45 - 1:10
1:10 - 2:20
Deepen your Understanding
Spend some time exploring one, two, or all three of the following topics:
- Course websites : Office365 / Desire2Learn
- Paperless marking tools
- Interactive Whiteboards
2:20 - 2:50
Online surveys are great ways to gain insight into your classroom with minimal effort / photocopying.
- Create QR codes for your survey (http://www.qrstuff.com/)
- Try developing a consistent survey that may be used every week. Results can be used to inform what needs to be covered, revisited or skipped the following week.
- Have students develop surveys to quantitatively analyze products/ideas in class.