Math in a Minute
Volume 3 Issue 6
Pumpkin Village Math
The beloved Pumpkin Village returns this year to the Dallas Arboretum! This year it is featuring Storybook houses, hay bale maze, Cinderella’s Carriage and the Tom Thumb Pumpkin Patch. Each house features a popular children's storybook including "Pumpkin Jack," "Too Many Pumpkins," "Strega Nona's Harvest," "Pumpkin Town!," "Scarecrow" and the classic story of "Cinderella."
Here is a few fun facts about the Pumpkin Village. Think about all the math that could be done using these numbers! We've included some ideas... in case you need some!
Years (How old is the botanical garden? How large is the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical garden in square feet?)
- 9: number of years the Dallas Arboretum has had the Pumpkin Village
- 66: number of acres at the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden
- 1982: year Dallas Arboretum opened as a public botanical garden
Pumpkin Village (How many days does it take to build the village? How many gourds and pumpkins are not donated?)
- 50,000: number of pumpkins, gourds, and squash that comprise the nationally acclaimed Pumpkin Village
- 30: number of pumpkin types
- 15: number of types of squash
- 8: number of gourd types
- 1,350: Bales of hay used
- 1,200: Corn stalks in the Pumpkin Village
- 285: Ears of corn
- 1,000: number of gourds donated to the Dallas Gourd Society
- 3 weeks: length of time it takes to build the Pumpkin Village
- 48: number of workers it takes to decorate the garden for Autumn at the Arboretum
People (How many hours were not spent working the Autumn at the Arboretum in 2013? How many visitors did not visit during the Arboretum at the Arboretum?)
- 184,514: number of visitors that attended Autumn at the Arboretum in 2013
- 18,360: number of volunteer hours that were worked during Autumn at the Arboretum 2013
- 841: number of volunteers that volunteered at the Dallas Arboretum in 2013
- 70,230: number of hours worked by volunteers at the Dallas Arboretum in 2013
- 22,017: number of children that visited the Dallas Arboretum on field trips during Autumn at the Arboretum 2013
- 27,683: number of children served by all Dallas Arboretum education programs led by degreed teachers in 2013
- 450: number of weddings and private events held at the Dallas Arboretum in 2013
- 32,064: number of Dallas Arboretum members
- 730,226: number of visitors to the Arboretum in 2013
Stop collaborate & listen
Our first Stop Collaborate and Listen with 3rd, 4th and 5th grade was a huge success! October 9th is the session for Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. There is still time to sign up in Eduphoria!
Next Stop Collaborate and Listen will be in January, before the 3rd nine weeks! See you there!
If you are doing number talks or would like more information about them, please contact Ashley or Diana. We would love to come and see them in action and help you in any way that we can.
Make sure you check out www.tinyurl.com/educatoracademy for ideas and information. We are constantly adding more resources and ideas to this site. If you see any areas where you would like to see more ideas or resources, please let Ashley or Diana know.
Math City Challenge
No entries were submitted last week.