Week of: 3/2/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- March 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- 3/1-3/7: “Get Caught Reading” Coupon Nights
- 3/3: Boston Market Night – 15% of sales go to PTO.
- 3/5: Golden Dragon Field Trip @ 10am
- 3/9: Lego Day (see attached)
- 3/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 3/11: Jonathan Rand book orders/checks due
- 3/13: Johnathan Rand Assembly & Mother Son Event
- 3/17:Leprechaun Visit / Irish Dancers Assembly
- 3/18: “Get Caught Reading” phone calls (6:30-7pm)
- 3/20: Report cards distributed & Read a T-Shirt/Hat Day
- 3/23: Scholastic Book Fair (all week)
- 3/25: Evening conferences
- 3/26: No School (All Day Conferences)
- 3/27: Doug Scheer Magic Bookshelf Assembly
- 3/31: Beach Party Read-In
- sight words: will, call, know, yellow, help
- word family: -ick
*Spelling test on sight words every Friday*
We have practiced reading stories that pursue our own interests. This time of year has focused on non-fiction and informational texts. We have used our comprehension to explain what we learned in these texts. Students have enjoyed learning all about elephants, robins, dinosaurs, penguins and even Derek Jeter (sorry Tiger fans…it was all that was in stock at the library)!
We have completed our How-To writing unit this month. A collection of their work has gone home for you to enjoy reading! Our first grade authors have worked very hard on understanding the writing process and I have been so proud of their handwriting! Our newest writing unit is “all about”. We have learned about the different types of penguins and used what we learned to write about them. We will continue this unit over the next month.
Our belated Golden Dragon field trip will take place next Thursday, 3/5 @ 10:00-11:40am. Please be sure your child is sent to school with a booster seat that has their name on it. The cost is $7.00 per student and $7.00 per chaperone. Thanks to all who have offered to help out!
Students have had the opportunity to read about solids and liquids in their science journals, identifying them using describing words and learning about the property types. We identified objects in our room using our senses!