Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts class made by R.S Hour 6
Michael Jordan was born on February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York
Significant Event in History that Affected Michael's life
- Michael almost didn't make it past his birth
- His father died in 1993 and he retired from basketball until 1995 when he came back
- Drafted by the Chicago Bulls
Michael's family was poor and to make it more of a struggle he had four siblings. His father was a mechanic at General Electric but never earned a lot of money and his mother didn't work. But the Jordan family was a strong and loving family.
People Who influenced Michael's life
- Deloris Jordan (his mother)- Taught him about the hazards of drugs and alcohol.
- James Jordan (his father)- Told him about the importance of education and how it would affect his life if he didn't focus on his school work.
- Larry Jordan (his brother)- Introduced basketball to Michael and always supported him.
- Michael led the bulls to six NBA titles
- His first favorite sport was baseball
- He was cut from his high school basketball team
- Co-captain of the U.S. Olympics team, lead the team to a gold medal
- selected as one the top fifty greatest players in NBA history
- Retired from basketball in October 1993 and returned on March 18th 1995 to the Chicago Bulls
- led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA titles
The Theme of Michael's life
Michael Jordan showed throughout of his life to never give up. When he didn't make his junior high basketball team he never gave up and it only made him try harder to reach his goal.
Michael's words of advice and what he taught me
- "My parents warned me about the traps," Michael once said "the drugs and drink, the streets that could catch you if you got careless"
- Concentrate on your school work and not just your sports. If you concentrate more on your school work you can get into the colleges you want to play at. If you don't pay attention in school you will never be able to play at your future college
- "When I found out that I didn't make the team I was down for a while. Whenever I was working out and I felt tired I would close my eyes and see the team list in the locker room without my name on it and that would make me work harder.
I learned from reading about Michael Jordan that he had to work very hard to achieve his goal. No matter how many times he didn't achieve his goal it only made him work harder. I learned to never give up no matter how hard life is at the moment.
Pietrusza, David. Michael Jordan. San Diego, CA: Lucent, 1999. Print.