Lyme Disease: Part 1
By. Maddie Main
What causes this disease?
Lyme disease is an infection that is transmitted through the bite of a tick infected with a bacterium called Borrelia Burgdorferi. Ticks typically get the bacterium by biting infected animals, like deer and mice.
Explain what happens to the body because of the disease.
There will be a bulls eye on and around the bit.
- General symptoms of fever, headache, muscle and joint pains, fatigue, or weakness of the muscles of the face.
- Skin rash, especially one that looks like a bull's eye, which may or may not be in the area of the bite.
- In very rare cases, paralysis may occur. The paralysis usually starts in the feet and legs and works its way up to the upper body, arms and head. The paralysis usually starts within a few hours to a day or two days after the bite.
Whether the disease is infectious or non- infectious.
This disease can not spread by humans only ticks. You can't catch Lyme disease by being around an infected person. And although pets can become infected by a tick, they cannot transmit the disease to humans unless an infected tick falls off the animal and then bites a person. Insects such as mosquitoes, flies, or fleas cannot spread the disease to humans either. Only infected ticks have that honor.
How is the disease is treated?
Most Lyme disease is curable with antibiotics, particularly when the infection is diagnosed and treated early. Later stages might require longer-term, intravenous antibiotics.
Does the disease have a public figure or celebrity connection? If so, in what ways has this connection helped bring awareness to the disease?
- Yes ( Avril Lavigne, Jamie Lynn Signer, George W. Bush, Parker Posey, Daryl Hall, Amy Tan, Alice Walker, Christie Brinkley, and Alec Baldwin) Maybe help that that everyone needs to be careful and be aware of ticks. When a celebrity gets a disease or any thing that someone has. Example- Michael Douglas has cancer, the people who have cancer that are fans or anyone with cancer, can see that they are not alone and can do it and have a role model that has the same cancer.
What is a dilemma that this disease/disorder/illness has caused?
- You can not die from this disease.
What are researchers currently doing to try & solve this dilemma?
- Well it is not life threatening and they have cures for it already. Unless one new and very different type of lyme disease accrues then I am sure someone would do lots of researchers would be on it.
What is the prognosis of this disease /disorder/illness?
When Lyme disease is diagnosed in its early stage, most patients are successfully treated with antibiotics. Humans do not develop immunity to Lyme disease and reinfection is possible. The disease is rarely fatal.
LEVEL - 4
Think of a project, solution, or direction to go to solving this dilemma. Explain the project, solution or direction in solving this dilemma.
There would be an injection that you could buy at stores, for you or animals that could have the disease. The medication would help decrease the days and pain.