time period: 400 ~ past 1300 c.e.
how was it created?
- it was the eastern half of the old Roman Empire
byzantine vs. roman
Capital Religion Language
Roman Constantinople Roman Catholic - Christian Latin
Byzantine Rome Eastern - Greek, Orthodox - Christian Greek
The Byzantine Empire is the eastern half of the Old Roman Empire. It grew strong and lasted for 1000 years. The Roman Empire is the western half of the Old Roman Empire. It fell into the Dark Ages.
impact on russia.
- religion: Eastern Orthodox spread to Russia (known as Russian Orthodox)
- trade: many Byzantineideas were introduced into Russia through trade
-cyrillic alphabet, religion, artwork (mosaics), architecture
contributions to our society.
- Justinian's Code: laws of the Byzantine Empire based on the "Twelve Tables" of Roman law and became the basis of many European nations
- art and architecture: usually supported the Christian Church
- preservers of Greek and Roman culture: the Byzantine Empire saved the knowledge, art, and ideas of the old Roman and Greek cultures
why it lasted so long.
- organized government
- did not get to be too big
- minded their own business