We use this expression to talk about habits or repeated actions in the past which we don't do in the present. We also use it to talk about states in the past which are no longer true.
- I used to have long hair, but now I have short hair.
- He used to smoke, but now he doesn't smoke.
- They used to live in US, but now they live in Mexico.
Getting Used To
- I’m getting used to driving on the right.
- I can’t get used to getting up so early. I’m tired all the time.
- I'm used to getting around New York by subway.
Would, Could, Should, Might, Must
- I would go to the party.
2. She would not be happy, if you leave the city.
3. I could swim when I was young.
4. Could you please let me pass you?
5. I should call my mother.
6. She should be doing her homework.
8. The store might have been closed today.
9. The building mus have a fire alarm.
10. She must be very tired.
1. We used to go to school together.
2. we used to sit next to each other.
Attitude About Someone Else's Habit
1. he's always losing things or forgetting where he's put things.
2. she'll always cry at the end of a sad movie.
Someone's Typical Behaivor
1. My girlfriend is insanely jealous.
2. My sister's so nosy.
Past With Used to + Infinitive
This structure express a past action and/or a state. It has no present equivalent.
1. When I was a child, we used to go on vacation to Florida.
2. He used to live in a large house.
3. we used to go there every year.
Modals With Certain Or Possible.
1. I must do my homework.
2. I can't sleep because of the noise.
Have + Past Participle.
3. I have done my homework.
Firstly, Finally, Basically, Another thing, As for as, Suppose, Anyway.
1. Firstly, it would be an infringement on individual freedom.
2. I finally found the solution to the problem.
3. Basically I like short poems. Among them this poem was my favourite.
4. Another thing to consider is the payment.
5. As far as I know, this is the only way to win.
6. I suppose you are right.
7. That's no what I had in mind but anyway we have to do it.
Methaphors and Idioms With:
Can you give me a hand with this sofa?
I know she shouts a lot, but she's really got a heart of gold.
He has been pulling your leg all the time.
She's so mart. She's heading for great things in life.
Concerned : Worried, Interest.
Loathed: Detest, Hate.
Budiess: Friends, Patners
Unfortune: inopportune, unfavourable.