Career Research Project
Crista Hook, Registered Nurse
- You must establish a compassionate environment for all patients and provide support to all patients, friends, and families.
- Observe and record patient behavior.
- Perform diagnostic tests.
- Administrates medications and treatments.
- You can get a nursing job by receiving anywhere between a diploma to a bachelors degree.
- Diploma programs are offered at hospital's, they typically last for three years.
- Associate's degrees are offered at community colleges and take two to three years to complete.
- Bachelor's degrees are offered at colleges and universities and take four years to complete.
- Some classes that are usually required for nurses to take are anatomy, physiology, and chemistry. Liberal arts classes are usually also helpful.
School Offering This Career
One school offering this career is Rockford University in Rockford, Illinois. It takes about $25,000 and takes about 3-4 years to complete.
Words to Live by
The words I live by are "Learning to do, doing to learn, earning to live, living to serve" which is the FFA motto. I have been living by this quote for the past two years now. I first heard them on the first day of my freshman year while learning about FFA history. I thought it was a really interesting saying and something that everyone could live by, like myself. These words mean to me that things don't just get handed to you and that you must earn things on your own by learning and living to help people. These words have helped keep me humble and respectable and will continue to do so throughout my life.
My Role Model
My role model is my mom. My mom is the best person in the world to me. She always has a positive attitude, no matter how much she doesn't want to be happy. I know that my mom is there for me no matter what and I can always talk to her about any problem that I have and she will give me great advice and help me get through it. My mom is the strongest woman I know.
The main reason that my mom is a role model for me, and could be for other people, is because of how strong she is. After my parents got divorced, my mom had to raise three children on her own. She did a great job raising my sisters and I, which is not an easy thing to do. My sister and I were both practically teenagers and my other sister was only five years old, which as you could imagine would be really hard to raise as a single mother. She is always there for all of us, and I know I can count of her even if she may be extremely impatient, and that is why my mother is my role model and should be influential to other girls and moms.
A registered nurse is a really good helpful job. In the article "Registered Nurse (RN)" by the American Dental Education Association it states how registered nurses have a really helpful and a hard job when it states "Nurses today are highly respected and valued members of the health care team who bring their own knowledge and process to the health care business" (American Dental Education Association 1). It is very hard to be a registered nurse because there is a lot of work and education needed to do so. Even though it's a lot of work it is worth it because it feels good to be able to help someone.