Brazil: A Look at it's Social Issues
A class project in Mr. Smith's English 10 at Cardinal Newman HS
Name: Jake McElderry
Nation of your choice: South America Brazil
Rationale (or explanation why you are curious about this country): I am curious because this country is with excitement ready to burst all over. Expectantly with the Carnival they celebrate as a giant celebration of dancing and singing and a giant parade. My most curious thought of Brazil is its beautie with the beaches, coves, and top relaxzing spots in the country. But mostly the other side that im curious about the out breaks of Inmates and how crupted Brazil is and to get the real information about the Courntry. My Brother Jermey went to Brazil for his senior trip and told me the fun and exciting by seeing the Carnaval and I always wanted to see it and from that day forth I always am curious about it and how it looks.
Summary (of what you already know about the history, geography, culture, and social issues): I know that the Brazilian government is full of joy and excitment of soccer and celibration and also with nature. Their geography is located on the gulf of mexico and the Alantic Ocean, Its mostly nature and a couple citys its nice sunny and good food its a perfect paradise. I Knew that taking birds and selling them on the Black Market was a common thing in Brazil and that they have gaurd outposts and people that take down the potchers. Acording to the Newyork times it says that mostly 100 Inmates escape most 4 to 6 months they are put behind bars with the lack of secrety and the weakness of secrety in Brazil.
Prediction (about what you think you will discover or hope to discover during your research):I feel like im going to find more bad than good because of drug dealers and the cruption of the government. I hope I find good into keeping the enviroment good as like keeping the bird and animal enviroment turn into extinct species. Most imortently what I want to find is the safty in the government and find out if the government is curpoed by the world cup they held and built 5 soccer stadiums.
Discussion (of the importance of this nation in the global community, i.e., the “so what?”): Its been important for the war because they were our allies and if we needed help then they would help us. Also trading was good for this country and ours with foods, elctronics, cars even guns. Last but not least we both have citizens living in each country so we are a mutal friends in the global community.
New York Times Topics: Brazil
#1 They Say, I Say
Student Name: Jake McElderry
Title of article (in quotation marks):(At Least 4 Inmates Are Killed During Bloody Prison Uprising in Brazil
Title of newspaper (underlined or italicized): (The Newyork Times)
Essay Author:Simon Romero
Date of Publication: Augest 25, 2014
Essay main idea/thesis statement: A brutal and bloody uprizing in the prison of Cascavel prison in southern Brazil of 1000 inmates and four died by letting the rebllious leaders behead one of the inmates to put fear in one of the gaurds overseeing the rising of inmates.
Quote: "Our best option was to negotiate," said Elson Foxina, a state judical spokes women by having a riot last 30 hours with a 1,000 inmates at the time of the disturbance is sad with the the lack of our secreity force.
#2 They Say, I Say
Student Name: Jake Mcelderry
Title of article (in quotation marks): "Peru Eyes Backing Bill to Resume Shooting Down Durg Planes"
Title of newspaper (underlined or italicized): The Newyork Times
Essay Author: Reuters
Date of Publication: March 10, 2015
Essay main idea/thesis statement: The President Ollanta Humala said on tuesday "it would be a back bill that would lift a 14 year old ban on shooting down aircraft suspected of carrying drugs even through the U.S. goverment opposes the practice. Also the U.S. prohibited the funding linked to shot down activites aborad after a 2001 incident in wihch a peruvian military jet mistakenly fired at a plane carrying missionaries, killing a U.S wowman and her baby.
Quote: Perez state's "Theres a proposal from the U.S., Logically to guarantee the status que, in which we cannot intercept planes that enter our airsapace and "The proposed alternatives like technological help.
#3 The Big 5
Title of article (in quotation marks):"At least 4 inmates are killed during Bloody prison riot in Brazil"
Title of newspaper (underlined or italicized): The New York Times
Essay Author:Simon Romero
Date of Publication: Aug 25, 2014
1. AUDIENCE AND PURPOSE (Focus on who. Who wrote the text? Who was it written for? Why did the writer write it?)The Daily journal for Rio de Brazil wrote the text. The writer wrote it because he or she feared that if more uprisings happen in the prisons and with the less protection and security around to calm it down.
2. CONTENT AND THEME (Focus on the what. What is the text about? What is the author’s message?)The text was about 4 inmates that are killed during a bloody prison uprisings in South Rio Brazil. The Authors message was clear..."we need more protection in the streets and prisons to keep every country safe."
3. TONE AND MOOD (Focus on the how. What is the writer’s tone? How does the text make the reader feel? What kind of diction is used to create a certain tone/mood?) Simon tone in his writing was the concerned/feared type of tone and leveled off to argumentative, and Judge mental. It makes him show to everyone that he cares for the safety of others from bad guys that kill, and are in prison. Facts that he said about whats going on at prisons in Brazil is the question who's stopping them from causing chaos?
4. STYLISTIC DEVICES (What stylistic devices does the writer use? To what effect? Common devices: irony, sarcasm, rhetorical questions, figurative speech, analogy, metaphor, etc.) The Stylistic Devices was kind of Dramatic irony of saying (uprising in southern Brazil's Prison already 4 dead).
5. STRUCTURE (What kind of text is it? What structural conventions are used?) This articles stats the facts of truth, and irony for presenting the people the tragic story of 4 dead in a riot to scare officers away from the prison.
#4 The Big 5
Title of article (in quotation marks):
Title of newspaper (underlined or italicized):
Date of Publication:
1. AUDIENCE AND PURPOSE (Focus on who. Who wrote the text? Who was it written for? Why did the writer write it?)
2. CONTENT AND THEME (Focus on the what. What is the text about? What is the author’s message?)
3. TONE AND MOOD (Focus on the how. What is the writer’s tone? How does the text make the reader feel? What kind of diction is used to create a certain tone/mood?)
4. STYLISTIC DEVICES (What stylistic devices does the writer use? To what effect? Common devices: irony, sarcasm, rhetorical questions, figurative speech, analogy, metaphor, etc.)
5. STRUCTURE (What kind of text is it? What structural conventions are used?)
(Click "media" and embed the link to your Google Doc Letter) https://docs.google.com/a/cardinalnewman.org/document/d/1ThUqNHeKX32q3xu805rqtgndKArnts4w953arPRMGkE/edit