How to Make Akara
Nigerian Bean Fritters
1. Soak one cup of dry black-eyed peas or kidney beans in purified or spring water overnight.
2. Rub soaked beans together to remove skins. When completely shelled, discard skins and soaking water.
3. In your blender or food procesor, blend the beans until smooth, adding the MINIMAL amount of water necessary to make a smooth paste, about a tablespoon or two.
4. Season the mixture with sea salt, fresh hot pepper ( as hot as you like it). You can also add fresh herbs. I made mine with thyme today.
5. Blend again and then add in a few tablespoons of chopped onion and a clove or two of garlic.
6. Blend until well aerated and as smooth as you can get it.
7. Heat olive oil or peanut oil to fry them. I add a touch of palm oil to the frying oil for the taste. You need your oil to be at least 2" deep.
8. Drop batter by the spoonful into the hot (about 350 degrees) frying oil and fry on both sides until golden brown.
9. Strain on a wire rack or crumpled paper and eat!