10 English Relief Lesson
Thursday, 18th October 2012
Please complete the following tasks in order:
1. Read through 'I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings' in your poetry anthology. This is on the fourth or fifth page of your anthology or can be accessed online by clicking the poem title in the line above.
2. Read through the background information on Maya Angelou in your poetry anthology. This is important as it will help give you some important context about the life and background of the poet. Further biographical information is available here: http://mayaangelou.com/bio/
3. When you have read through the poem, download the worksheet available online at the following link: http://hjones.info/u/cagedbird Make sure that you save a local copy on your computer's hard drive.
4. Use your understanding of the poem to answer all the questions in full sentences. You should pay particular attention to answering the final question in detail.
5. If you finish this activity, download the 'Poetic Devices Worksheet' from this link: http://hjones.info/u/poeticdevices Use your poetry techniques booklet and the information in the table to write your own examples of poetic techniques.
Please ensure you have completed up to the end of Question 4 by our next lesson together (Friday, Lesson 6).