Peppermint oil has been shown in a number of clinical studies to be effective in relieving nausea and vomiting in postsurgery and cancer patients, reducing symptoms of irritable bowel syndrom, decreasing pain sensitivity (demonstrated in labor and headaches), decreasing inflammation in the respiratory tract, improving memory, increasing alertness, decreasing sleepiness, improving athletic performance, and increasing subjective vitality.
- Rub on hands and inhale to decrease daytime sleepiness
- Diffuse peppermint oil to provide relief for sinus and cold symptoms
- Rub on temples or back of neck to reduce headache sensitivity
- Apply on chest for an expectorant effect for colds, cough or asthma
- Apply to sunburned skin to cool, soothe, and stop the itching
- Add a drop of peppermint oil to your water bottle to improve exercise performance
- Drop in mouth to freshen breathe
- Mix into your shaving cream for a soothing, cooling effect
- Combine with baking soda and sprinkle over your mattress.
- Make an essential oil lip balm