Math in a Minute:
TV & Movie Edition
Volume 3 Issue 13
In this section you will find many different facts about television and movies. Use these numbers for problem solving activities, estimation situations and calculation scenarios.
- Kids ages 6 and under spend as much time in front of a TV or computer screen as they do outside.
- The television is on an average of 7 hours 40 minutes a day in U.S. homes.
- 92% of all U.S. households own a VCR or DVD player.
- On average, kids ages 6 to 11 watch 19 hours, 49 minutes of TV each week.
- The average American youth spends 1,023 hours each year watching TV and 900 hours in school.
- On average, girls ages 12 to 17 watch 19 hours, 49 minutes of TV each week. Boys watch 20 hours, 14 minutes.
- The average household has 2.4 TV sets. 98% of all U.S. households own at least one set. 79% have more than one TV set.
- 56% of children ages 8 to 16 have a TV in their bedroom; 36% of kids ages 6 and under do.
- 40% of Americans always or often watch television while eating dinner.
- American children spend an average of 4 hours 41 minutes a day in front of a video screen of some kind.
Parents are always saying "Move back! You're sitting too closely to the TV!" But is that true? How far away should you sit from the TV? Well, there is actually an answer, and it all depends on the size of your television!
First of all, just because you sit closer, doesn't mean the picture on the screen is better. The closer you sit to the television, the more pixels you can see. It is best to sit at the correct distance to get optimal viewing pleasure!So what can you do with this information? Have your learners find the best spots in the room to view the Smartboard or projection screen. Have them see if their couch is the correct distance away from their television. Knowing how far away the couch is from the TV, what is the largest TV they could buy and still keep the furniture where it is? Have them create a PSA to present on morning announcements for kids to sit the correct distance from their TVs.
A standard IMAX screen is22 m × 16.1 m (72 ft × 53 ft). About how far away should you sit from an IMAX screen for the best viewing pleasure? (An IMAX resolution is much better than a standard television. This is why we can actually sit closer to the screen and still see a great quality film.)
**Remember that screen sizes are measured diagonally.
Learning with Disney/Pixar Movies
- The length of the Toy Story movie is 85 minutes. Finding Nemo lasts for 100 minutes. There are many other Pixar movies. How long would it take for someone to watch all of the movies? How many hours? Days?
- Each of the Pixar movies are different lengths. Graph the different lengths of the movies.
- Most movie tickets cost anywhere between $6 and $13. How much would it cost to go and see all of the Pixar movies at the theater?
Learning with Concessions
A small popcorn at AMC is about 370 calories and has about 20g of fat.
A large popcorn at AMC is about 664 calories and has about 31g of fat.
Which one is healthier? Is is better to share a large popcorn between 2 people or to each get a small?
A pickle at AMC theaters cost $5. How much would it cost for your entire class to get a pickle?
A small popcorn at Regal movie theater is 670 calories, the same as a personal Pepperoni Pan Pizza from Pizza Hut. A medium popcorn at Regal movie theater is 720 calories and a large is 960 calories. A bag of M&Ms has 240 calories. Twizzlers have 160 calories. If you went to the theater and ordered a snack, how many calories would be in your snack?
12 ounces of Coke has about 140 calories. The smallest drink offered at AMC is 32 ounces. How many calories are in a small AMC Coke drink?
Yummy Math: Pixar vs. Dreamworks
The two biggest producers of animated films are Dreamworks and Pixar. The two have been going head to head for many years. So how do they stack up to each other? Which company is making more money on their films? According to critics, which company makes the better films?
**Click here to see the entire Yummy Math learning experience.