The Attack on Pearl Harbor
By: A'justice Washington
On December 7th at 6:00am a wave of Japanese war planes were sent to attack Pearl Harbor. Containing guns, bombs,and torpedoes.
* Pearl Harbor is located in Oahu, Hawaii.
* Before the attack on Pearl Harbor the Japanese and the U.S. Had been edging toward war for a decade.
* Fhe Japanese had planned the attack, and their objective was to sink the Pacific Fleet.
* The plans for the attack was as early as January 1941.
* The man that constructed the surprise attack was Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.
* The plan behind the attack was to conquer most of the Pacific and Southeast Asia.
* When the attack started most of the service men were still in their pjs' or eating breakfast.
* on December 7th at 8:00am a wave of Japanese war planes attacked Pearl Harbor.
*At 8:10 10mins. after the attack began a 1,800 pound bomb exploded trapping more than 1,000 men inside.
* the Japanese sent two waves of war planes 45 min. apart.
* When the Japanese war planes were coming men could identify the planes by the "meatballs" on the sides.
* During the attack only a handful of American planes were able to get off the ground to try to fight the Japanese,but most of them shot on the ground.
* The attack ended shortly before 10:00am.
* After the attack the survivors thought that anther attack was coming so they evacuated.
* The American Forces had paid a fearful price.
* The Japanese's success was overwhelming but not complete.
* The Japanese failed to damage American aircraft carrier,which was by a stroke of luck.
* the Japanese also attacked airfields at Hickem Field,Wheeler Field,Bellows field,Ewa Field,Schoefeild Barrocks,and Kaneohe Navel Air Station.
* The Japanese used 353 planes to attack Pearl Harbor.
* 188 airplanes were destroyed and 133 damaged.
* On December 8th,the day after the attack President Roosevelt annoussed the attack to the public and millions were devastated.
* There was a conspiracy theory that FDR used the attack to sway the U.S. To enter the war.
*" Remember Pearl Harbor" became a rally cry during the war.
*The attack on Pearl harbor was 69 years ago,but we are still scared till this day.
* About 1.5 million people visit the historical place every year.