THE STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA
Adopted in 1911, the state flag of North Dakota displays a bald eagle holding an olive branch and a bundle of arrows in its talons. The eagle carries a ribbon in its beak saying E Pluribus Unum (Latin for "out of many, one") symbolizing one nation made up of many states. A shield with thirteen stripes on the eagle's breast represents the original thirteen states.
WILD PRAIRIE ROSE
North Dakota designated the wild prairie rose as the official state flower in 1907. Found growing along North Dakota roadsides, in pastures, and in native meadows, the wild prairie rose has five bright pink petals with a cluster of yellow stamens in the center.
The rose has been around for about 35 million years and grows naturally throughout North America. The petals and rose hips are edible and have been used in medicines since ancient times.
The western meadowlark was designated official state bird of North Dakota in 1947. The western meadowlark is a familiar songbird of open country across the western two-thirds of the continent (from Wisconsin to Texas and west to the Pacific). Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Oregon, and Wyoming also recognize the western meadowlark as state bird.
North Dakota designated the American elm as the official state tree in 1947. Common throughout the state, the American elm often reaches 120 feet or taller. Massachusetts also recognizes the American elm as the state tree.
THINGS TO DO
The Dakota Zoo is a zoo in Bismarck, North Dakota located on the banks of the Missouri River, it is the third zoo built in North Dakota. The Dakota Zoo is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums.
The mission of the Dakota Dinosaur Museum in Dickenson, ND is to promote tourism by providing a facility for preservation and display of geological and paleontological specimens for public review and education.This 13,400 sq. ft. museum, a not-for-profit corporation, is governed by a volunteer board of directors.
Theodore Roosevelt National Park is a United States National Park comprising three geographically separated areas of badlands in western North Dakota. The park was named for U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt