Social Studies Common Exam Review
Democracy-The power lays within the people/citizens.
- Direct Democracy-All citizens are able to participate, in which they make all the rules and laws. Switzerland is a country that has come the closest to using a direct democracy.
- Representative Democracy-All citizens can elect their leaders, where the leaders represent the country. A country that uses this is the United States of America.
Autocracy-Power lies within one person/individual.
- Monarchy is where power is inherited, like kings, queens, princesses, and princes.
-Absolute Monarch-The monarch has absolute power all of the people.
-Constitutional Monarchy-The monarch acts as the "Head of State".
- Dictatorship-Power that is taken by force. North Korea is under a dictatorship.
- Theocracy-Ruled by a god or higher power. Iran is an example of a country that uses this.
- Oligarchy-It is ruled by the few. Russia is under an oligarchy.
- Anarchy-No one is in charge. Zapatista (Chiapas, Mexico)
- Communism-A theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state. Cuba is an example.