My name is Baylin Heidorn and I am 79 years old. I am part of the Union. I live in Boston, Massachusetts. This is the week of April 11-15, 1861. My wife died so I only live with my son who is now in Fort Sumter.
Day 1 April 11, 1861
Today, I woke up and did the same four usual activities. I do this in the same way every morning.
1. I ate toast and drank a glass of milk.
2. I I brushed my teeth.
3. I took a shower.
4. I walked my dog.
I don't do the same afternoon activities every day. Here are the ones I did today:
5.Around 3 p.m. I sent milk from my cows to the troops.
6. I ate dinner at 4 p.m.
7. I went to my spinning wheel and made some clothes for the soldiers.
8. At 8p.m. I went to bed for the night.
Day 2 April 12, 1861
Susanna acts like she misses you very much. I miss you a lot as well. How are you guys holding up? I heard in the newspaper that your fort got attacked today. The headline said "The problem in Charleston Harbor." I hope you are still okay. I love you son. I hope to see you soon.
Sincerely, Baylin Heidorn
Day 3 April 13, 1861
This afternoon I did eight different things. I went to bed at 10 p.m.
1. I went to the bar and got in a fight with a 83 year old guy. I beat him to a pulp.
2. I harvested my corn and wheat.
3. I sent 9% of my wheat to the soldiers.
4. I sent 25% of my corn to the soldiers.
5.I did my laundry.
6. I slaughtered my pig named Charlie.
7. I sent a few porkchops to the soldiers.
8. This guy came to my house. He was the 83 year old man's son. He tried to fight me but I hit him with a shovel, and then I just put him back on his horse and went to bed.
Day 4 April 14, 1861
The Battle of Fort Sumter is over. We lost but we never really had a chance. My crew got into a big battle. We fought each other and we all got in trouble. I only got a black eye. It was crazy, but now I have to join a new crew. That is all thats going on down here. I miss you dad and love you. Thanks for the donations.
Sincerely, Alchatraz Heidorn
This is the letter I got from my son and I'm happpy they are getting my donations, but I'm even happier that he is doing alright. I am so happy he is still alive.
Day 5 April 15, 1861
This year we needed a new president. We got a knew president now. He is a tall man. He wears a very big tall hat. His name is Abrahm Lincoln.
He will be a great president. He is from the union. He will abolish slavery. Everything will be good now. I hope for the best.
I hope he does great. He could change this country. He could even change this wotld. I really hope the best for him.