The main function is to act as a barrier to protect the body from the outside world. "ScienceNetLinks"
This consists of skin, hair, nails, and exocrine glands.
1. Your skin is known as your birthday suit.
2. Hair grows 1cm per month.
3. An adult has 20 sq.ft of skin.
4. Your skin sends indicators.
5. You will shed 40 lbs. of skin in a lifetime.
The Integumentary system consists of the largest organ in the body, the skin. This extraordinary organ system protects the internal structures of the body from damage, prevents dehydration, stores fat and produces vitamins and hormones. It also helps to maintain homeostasis within the body by assisting in the regulation of body temperature and water balance.