Digital Life 102
1. What percentage of teens ages 12 to 17 say they have been in a car with the driver texting? (Pew Internet & Life, 2009)
2. About how many teens that have cell phones sleep with them on or near their beds? (Pew Internet and American Life, 2010)
4 out of 5
3. One-third of kids ages 12 to 17 send more than _______ texts each day. (Pew Internet and American Life, 2010)
4. As of February 2011, what was the most visited website? (Google,http://www.google.com/adplanner/static/top1000/)
5. As of March 2010, approximately how many hours of video are uploaded to YouTube each minute? (Mashable.com, 2010: http://mashable.com/2010/03/17/youtube-24-hours/)
6. Four in ten students in grades 7 to 12 say they do which type of media activity the most? (Kaiser, 2010)
Listening to music
7. How many users did Facebook have as of April 2011? (http://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics, retrieved 5/10/11)
8. What percentage of kids ages 11 to 18 say they sometimes feel like a different person online than off? (Kidscape, 2011)
9. Approximately what percentage of teens say they have received “sexts” -- sexually suggestive or partially naked pictures -- of someone they know online? (Pew Internet & Life, 2009)
10. What percentage of teens have made creations online (e.g., artwork, photos, stories, videos)? (Pew Internet & American Life Project, 2007)
11. What percentage of teens on social networks say they use privacy settings to protect their information? (Common Sense Media, 2010)
4 out of 5
12. What percentage of teens ages 15 to 18 believe their friends share too much information online? (Common Sense Media, 2010)
13. What percentage of parents and legal guardians of kids ages 6 to 18 say they have talked to their children in the past year about how to be safe and smart online? (Cable in the Classroom/Common Sense Media, 2007)
14. What is included in your digital footprint?
All of the information about a person that can be found online
In the comments section below, reflect on the following questions:
- Which one or two answers surprised you the most?
- Which one or two statistics most closely reflect how you use digital media in your own life?
- Which statistics are the farthest from your own personal experience?