Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade language arts class by Austin H.
Charles Barkley was born in February 20, 1963 in Leeds, Alabama. When Charles was born he was not very wealthy. His father walked out on him when he was only a year old. He has 1 sister and 2 brothers in his family. When he was in high school he earned the nickname of "the round mound of rebound". When Charles went to make the varsity team he failed but he was reserved.
significant events that affected/were going on during the persons life
- His daughter Christina was born.
- He has retired the numbers 34 on all the Phoenix Suns, Philadelphia 76ers, and auburn university.
- He was selected to play on the USA dream team.
- He has won over 30 awards and has several highlights.
Family members important to person's life
- Charles's grandmother had a lot of influence on him because he was apparently like a male version of her.
- His dad had a lot of influence on him cause he didn't know what it was like to have a father.
- His mom because of just being a mommas boy and he stuck by her side.
- He was a very unpredictable player.
- Charles majored in business management before playing in the NBA.
- Since retiring as a player, Barkley has had a successful career as a television NBA analyst.
People who influenced his life
- Charles dad had a lot of influence on him by not being there and having him grow up without a dad.
- His grandmother who he just happened to act just like.
- His mom, because he always counted on her and was always a mama's boy.
Accomplishments in this persons life
- One of the top 50 players to ever play in the NBA.
- He has won a MVP award.
- He has played in the NBA for 16 years on the 76ers, suns, and the rockets.
- He's won 3 Olympic gold medals from basketball.
- His golf swing that is pretty amusing to watch went viral after he tried to play golf.
Theme I got from his life...
I have found from Mr. Barkley's life that persistence and hard work pay off, because when he was in high school he used to be just a average sub and come in and out, then after working at it for a long time he had made a name for himself.
words of Advice:
- "If I wern't earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming". (47)
- "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train". (68)
- "If you are afraid of failure, you don't deserve to be successful". (22)
- "Charles Barkley Net Worth - Earned Through Successful Basketball Career."CelebrityPostnet Plastic Surgery Measurements Hair Styles. N.p., 04 Feb. 2015. Web. 07 Mar. 2015.
- Dolan, Sean. Charles Barkley. New York: Chelsea House, 1996. Print.
- "Charles Barkley - "Can't No One Player Guard Me!"" YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015.
- "Charles Barkley - The Beast." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015.