Team 7.3 Omaha Zoo Trip
May 1, 2014
Welcome to the place with all biomes.
Common Name: Clown Fish Scientific Name: Amphiprioninae
Biome: Water Home Range/Habitat: Goes from Pacific to Indian
Fish Adaptation Clown fish adaptations
1) Can breath underwater with gills 1) The group is called a school
2) Some fish feed through the water. 2) The size of a tea cup.
3) Fish has hard, shiny scales 3) All clown fish are born male
4) Fish can live up to 7 hours without water 4) They can switch gender if they want.
5) A spine to swim/stiffen the body to be stable. 5) Can reach up to 4.5 inches.
Common name: Wyoming Toad Scientific name: Bufo baxteri
Biome: Wetlands Home Range/Habitat: Lakes/Ponds
Amphibian Adaptations: Toad Adaptations:
- Can go into the water and on land. 1. Takes 3-20 days to hatch.
- Has gills to start 2. Breeding happens during spring/summer
- Breaths with lungs at adult 3. Has poor eye sight
- Is a vertebrae 4. Mainly active at night
- Has a large and broad mouth 5. Grows up to 2.2 inches
Common name: Blue Tongue skink Scientific Name: Tiliqua
Biome: Grasslands, Forest, Rain Forest, Desert Home Range/Habitat: Australia
Reptile adaptations: Skink Adaptations:
1. Some change color to the temperature 1. Puffs up body to ward off enemies
2. Rough skin 2. Can hold on to prey for a long time
3. Some of them grow back 3. Can drop tail off if it is grabbed by it
4. Some can live in dry, harsh climates, some live in water. 4. They don't use their feet to move, they slither.
5. Some use feet to move, some use their body. 5. Ears sunk in head to protect the ear membrane
Common name: Black-capped chickadee Scientific name: Poecile atricapillus
Biome: Forest, woodlots Home Range/Habitat: Upper most USA
Bird Adaptations: Chickadee Adaptations:
- Break seeds open with feet/beak 1. They can remember thousands of seed hiding spots
- Has feathers to fly 2. Some of them are called winter flocks
- Some birds don't fly 3. The chickadee is a bird native to North America
- Some birds actually run like the roadrunner 4. They are one of the smallest birds
- Birds lay small to really big eggs 5. Insects make up 80-90% of their diet
Common name: Swift Fox Scientific name: Vulpes velox
Biome: Grass lands, forest Home Range/Habitat: Tundra, cold places
Mammal Adaptations: Swift fox adaptations:
1. Has ether hair or fur 1. Uses burrows to hide and hide young
2. Has a 4 chambered heart 2. Can live in places with no water
3. Is warm-blooded 3. A ground squirrel(the swift foxes prey) has 70% water
4. Is adapted to almost everything 4: Can survive a day under ground when the air is dry
5. Can breath with lungs. 5. Like a dog, a swift fox has to pant to stay cool