Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts Class
Made by AB 6th hour
Eugene Allen was born July 14, 1919 in Scottsville, Virginia and died March 31, 2010
Significant Events in History that Affected Eugene's Life
- Civil Rights Movement
- Vietnam War
Eugene lived on a southern plantation in Scottsville, Virginia for most of his life. Eugene worked as a "House Boy" for his masters home. Working as a house boy, Eugene learned how to work as a butler.
People Who Influenced Eugene's Life
- Helen, his wife- Supported him to go through with becoming a White House butler.
- Charles- His son, went to show his father he can serve the country he loved too. Charles did so by dying on the field during the Vietnam War.
- Jacqueline Kennedy- Gave Eugene her husbands tie to help him remember him after J.F.K's assassination.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower- Asked Eugene his opinions for Eisenhower decisions as President of the United States
- Nancy Reagan- Invited Eugene to the state dinner at the White House. Making him the first Black man invited to a Political Dinner.
- Eugene witnessed the arguments over the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- He also was invited by President Obama himself to see his inauguration.
- Eugene Started working at a country club before he got the call to become a White House butler.
- Received JFK's tie after his murder.
- Served entertainers such as Duke Ellington, Elvis, and the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson.
- Became a Black Butler at the White House.
- Served for 8 presidents
- First Butler in History to be invited to a state dinner.
- Promoted from Pantry boy to Maître d
- Lived to be 90 years old.
Eugene taught me that even the smallest of jobs can lead you to do great things. Just because how you look or act or talk doesn't mean you can't be successful in life. I have so much respect for this man and hope people all over the world realize the amazing things that come out of the ordinary person.
Wil Haygood, Lee Daniels. The Butler A Witness TO History. New York: Astria hardcover,2013. Print