Promoting a better future.
#RICT1314 with Linda Castañeda Quintero.
Authors:Raquel Lorenzo Franco & Rosana Sánchez Robles.
Photo of the fair
"The pollution's problems"
The activity is aimed for children between 10 and 11 years old.
Fifth grade of Primary Education.
Social Science (a class about pollution).
- Recognising and identifying the problems of the pollution; and what are good habits and what are bad habits to look after the environment.
- Classifying the good habits and the bad habits, to understand what they have to do.
- Applying the learned knowledge as for looking after the environment.
- Analysing the different problems of the pollution.
- Experimenting how they feel when they do something good for improving (avoiding) the pollution.
- Judging what are good and bad habits in order to do only the good one.
- Understanding what are the problems of the pollution, what are good and bad habits and how they can do to improve the environment.
- Collaborating with the environment doing different good things. (Working in pairs)
- Detecting when there is a bad action and try to change it.
Children have to write or to draw five examples in pairs that they believe that are good habits to save the world. Later they will do an assembly to evaluate the examples of their classmates giving reasons about what it is a good example or why not.
They have to make a campaign to promote these good habits. First, they will do a video about the habits which they have design. Then, they must upload it to YouTube and put in Twitter the link of the videos and a slogan which they can invent, to promote those habits.
- Competence in knowledge and interaction with the physical world.
- Data processing and digital competence
- Social and civic competence.
In that activity we have chosen the following three apps because we believe that they are the best to do a good video:
- - Magisto: It is an app in which you upload the video that you have recorded and, besides, you add also the music, the theme and the title. It is really nice because you can use the theme which is most related with your video and also the music, because there may be several songs that are not good for a type of concrete video. It has really got lovely themes and the result is fantastic. Furthermore, this app allows you to upload your final result to different social networks. In this way, you can share with people your video!
- - Twitter: it is an interesting app because it is a social network in which you can share with many people whatever you want. In this app there are a lot of different things that you can do (finding people, following them, putting a profile photo, a biography and so on), but for our activity the important things are the tweets and the hashtag. A hashtag is a tag in which you can write a word or several words strung with this symbol (#) at the beginning of the word. This has got an objective, which is that people can find easily what they search using the hashtag that the people put in their tweets. On the other hand, a tweet is a publication, a phrase or several phrases but at the same time. You can publish all the tweets that you want, but each one has got a limited amount of words, which are 140. In these tweets, a person can say whatever she wants and put it in links of different websites, such as YouTube.
- - YouTube: it is an international website, in which people search their videos. On it you can find a lot of different things, such as tutorials, music videos, films, series and so on. We have chosen this app because for us it is important that children share the videos which they have recorded with the rest of people. On YouTube you can also put the title of the video, a description, follow people, give a like to the videos that you like, etc. In addition to this, from YouTube you can share videos to another websites.
This activity is really nice for children because they learn what the good habits are for looking after the environment and, besides they have to use new technologies, and children usually love them.
As we want children to know what are the problems of the pollution and once they know it they will create five examples for improving these problems, we will show them a video about that. In the video they can see the different problems of the pollution (land, water and air pollution).
Once children have created the examples of good habits to look after the environment, the whole class will do an assembly to solve doubt and to evaluate the work of their classmates, to do that we will give them a rubric through which they are going to evaluate their classmates' work. The rubric will take into account some aspects, such as: the attitude, the cooperative work, the creativity of the examples, and the effort in the work. The marks will be from 1 as minimum to 10 points as maximum.
The most important material for this activity is the smart phone (mobile phone or tablet), which they are going to use to carry out the whole activity: recording the video and using the apps. If some of them have not got any smart phones, we can give them one per group but only in the classroom. If they want to record the video in the afternoon, they may use the smart phone of her parents. An important thing that we have to clarify is that they need a smart phone per couple. One of the children has to record to his colleague with the smart phone and later; the child who has been the character has to record the child who has been recording. For the last example it is necessary that children have the help of another person, because they have to do this video together, both of them are the characters.
Children must use three apps, which are Magisto, YouTube and Twitter and in order to teach children how to use them, we will give them a tutorial of each one. Teachers have to sign up with a global account (for the whole group) on Magisto, Twitter and YouTube, because children are not eighteen so they can't sign up by themselves. Besides, teachers have to give them the hashtag that they have thought for this activity.
We have chosen Magisto because it is a funny way to do a good video. Besides, the final result is completely lovely because it is very colourful and lively so children can love it and it can catch the people's attention more easily. Furthermore, this app is very easy to use so it is less possible than children can have any problems.
Another app is YouTube and we have chosen it because it is a lovely way to share your videos with people. Children can upload their examples of the activity but, once they know how to use this app, they can upload other different videos if they want and always with the permission of their parents. From our point of view, it can be a nice way for the children to learn too, because they can search videos of whatever they want and learn with them.
And, finally, the last app which they have to use is Twitter. We would like to say that we have chosen this app because we really believe that it is the best way to share with people your point of view, your thoughts, etc. For us Twitter is the best social network for sharing information that exists in this moment; they can write whatever they want and, furthermore, they can add videos from YouTube or another network. Within it, we want children to use the hashtag that teachers gave them, for labelling what they tweet.
Finally, we will need a rubric similar to the rubric which we have given to the children, but our rubric will be more complete. The rubric which we will use will take into account some aspects, such as: the attitude, the cooperative work, the creativity of the examples, the slogans, the music, the themes and so on, the effort and the appropriate use of the apps. Our marks can be from the 0 as minimum to 10 as maximum.