2014 - And The Inexorable Rise Of The Paradoxical Culture!
There exists a set of very complex realities - pressures and tensions for business and for humanity.
Many of them are in direct conflict
Every business system, every government and society on Earth - all the people within them potentially conflicted with prejudice, opinion and circumstance.
Is it possible to chart a way through the minefield? Be commercial AND ethical? Free Speech, Open Data AND Security? Inclusive AND agile and flexible? Work on what you love AND work?
Our beliefs have been shaped by these pervasive and extreme realities.
The Human Element
“What horrifies me most is the idea of being useless: well-educated, brilliantly promising, and fading out into an indifferent middle age.” — Sylvia Plath
“I’m not altogether sure where work ends and private life begins. Desire pulses through our work as well as our intimate relationships. What we do shapes our being and our days. It’s true I’ve written about some unusual occupations: a female astronaut who’s also a mother; a woman who studies war." - Catharine Bush
“A man walking is never in balance but always correcting for imbalance.”
A World Of Opposing Ideals
- An Impossible Equilibrium - Balancing a burgeoning urge for authenticity and integrity in a commercially - bottom line driven world.
- The Ethical Bunfight - Social and environmental concerns are trying to survive within systems designed to create commercial gain
- Media Tyranny - A goldfish bowl of media attention creating high risk environment leaders who are driving for change and differentiation.
- Society Is Poles Apart - A growing polarisation of the wealthy and the poor.
- The Digital Rich & Poor - An increasing technological divide between the haves and have nots.
- Cultural Divisions - Globalisation of our societies is leading to conflicts of culture - the result is an increasing blandness of society.
- The Skills Chasm - A growing gap between the capabilities we need and the education systems that fail to deliver them.