- Ranges in size from 1/8 inch to 2 inches across
- Is painful
- Is soft
- Has sharply defined borders
- Has a base that is covered with a grey or yellowish-grey material
- Has a base that bleeds easily if it is banged or scraped
About half of infected men have only a single ulcer. Women often have four or more ulcers. The ulcers appear in specific locations.
Common locations in men are:
- Groove behind the head of the penis
- Shaft of the penis
- Head of the penis
- Opening of the penis
- The most common symptoms in women are pain with urination and intercourse.