- Panama is approximately 75, 517 km (squared)
- The population of Panama is approximately 3.8 million people.
- Besides Spanish, there are other languages spoken in Panama as well. English, Buglere, Chinese Hakka, Chinese Yue, Embera/ Epena, and many others are typically spoken in different parts of the country.
- Panama has a government which is a presidential representative democratic republic. The President of Panama is the head of the state and the head of the government. For the most part, Panama is a safe place to travel. However, just like any country, there are always potential dangers that one needs to be aware of. EX: drug areas.
- Panama has a tropical climate with a hot, rainy season lasting from May to January.
- Panama is located south of Costa Rica and north of Colombia. In comparison, Panama is slightly smaller than South Carolina in the United States. Panama has mountains on the West side, average sized hills in the middle of the country, and a low range of mountains/hills on the East cost.
- Panama was founded on November 28, 1821, which makes it 194 years old.
Top 7 Best Attractions In Panama
1. Panama Canal- connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and
2. Casco Viejo, Panama- historic district of Panama City
3. Biomuseo- located on the Amador Causeway in Panama City, Panama. (museum)
4. Estadio Nacional de Panama- popular stadium for various sports
5. Panama Viejo- remaining part of Panama City & former capital of the country
6. Parque Nacional Coiba- island located along Panamanian Province
7. Panama Interoceanic Canal Museum- museum on the building of the canal, located in Panama City.
(pictures go in order)
Food in Panama
- Common dishes to have for breakfast: Hojaldras (fried dough, not sweet), tortillas de maiz con queso, patacones (fried green plantains).
- Common dishes to have for lunch/ dinner: Sancocho (chicken soup), arroz con pollo
- Common snacks/ appetizers: Yuca frita (fried yuca roots), Orejitas (sweet, buttery dough)
- Some restaurants that are supposed to be very delicious and tasty: La Posta, La Casa de Marisco, and Tinajas Restaurante.
Travel Essentials for Panama
- In order to travel to Panama, you will need a passport and a return ticket. Majority of people are not required to bring a Visa along with them.
- An average plane ticket cost when flying US Airways is approximately $579.
- The vaccines that are necessary in order to travel to Panama are: routine vaccines, Hepatitis A and Typhoid. Depending on how long you are staying, it may be necessary for you to get the following vaccines: Hepatitis B, Malaria, Rabies, and Yellow Fever.
- If you are staying around the Panama City area, lodging is anywhere from $70-$100+ per night.
- The best time to visit Panama is during the summer (their dry season) , which is from mid December to mid April.
- According to various blogs and people who have traveled to Panama, they say to pack light, do not take jewelry, bring appropriate clothing attire, etc.
- Panama use Panamanian Balboa, which has the same exchange rate as the U.S. Technically, there is no reason to exchange money, unless certain businesses do not take American money.
- It is always important to remember that when traveling to another country, there is always the possibility that your stomach will not agree to everything you eat. Be cautious and careful when digesting delicious Panamanian cuisine.