by: Joshua Anderson
- The Emancipation Proclamation was issued by Abraham Lincoln on January 1, 1863
- In a simpler understandable way it declared that any persons held as slaves in rebellious states shall be free
- The document also said that black people can be accepted in the Union Army or Navy
- By the end of the war 200,000 black sailors and soldiers had fought for the Union
- Although the blacks strong efforts to fought for freedom they were not treated equally.
- After the war owners still owned slaves that weren't caught but some were released and given land after the owners death.
- Places in North Carolina still sneaked slavery old slave houses are found in Halifax County near Plantations