By: Zach Morrison
- Born and raised in Cookeville, Tennessee
- Assassinated on October 19, 1998
- Shot and killed by Byron Looper in Cookeville, Tennessee
- Tommy Burks was running for likely re-election and was the opponent of Byron Looper.
- The weapon used in the assassination of Tommy Burks was never found
- The assassination was committed by only one person
- Tommy Burks was targeted for being the election opponent of his killer
- This assassination affected the entire election
- About the killer:
His name was Byron Looper and he was born in Cookeville, Tennessee
Byron spent most of his childhood living in Georgia
Byron's biggest motive for killing Tommy Burks was because he did not want to lose the election against him (Served a life sentence in prison for the assassination)
- "Tommy Burks." Flickr. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2014.
- "Byron Looper Assaulted Prison Counselor before Death." - WSMV Channel 4. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2014.
- F., Angelo. "Tommy Burks." Flickr. Yahoo!, 13 July 2009. Web. 11 Dec. 2014.