Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts class
Made By: Anna
Pocahontas was born in 1595 in Werowocomoco (Eastern Virginia) to the powerful tribal leader Powhatan, and died in 1617
Pocahontas had a very privileged childhood. Her father was a very powerful leader and had control over many tribes.
People Who Influenced Pocahontas's Life
Powhatan (Pocahontas's father) was an important person to her. Her father took her trading and was a powerful ruler so therefore she was also important.
- Matoaka was Pocahontas's clan name (the name her family called her at home).
- Was said to be her fathers favorite child while she growing up.
- Her father, Powhatan, ruled all of the tribes around Chesapeake Bay, so she had a lot of privileges as a child.
- Pocahontas died in England while visiting the queen in 1617.
- Many parts of the story of Pocahontas's life is shrouded in legend.
Pocahontas's actions were the reason for the period of harmony between the Indians and the English. This period of time was known as the Peace of Pocahontas. Even though many parts of Pocahontas's story are just legend, there's no doubt that she played an important role in the success of the Jamestown Colony.
What she has taught me..
Pocahontas has taught me that we shouldn't judge people because they're different than us. Pocahontas did not agree with her father when he started shooting at the English and trying to drive them out of the area. In fact, she even ran away from home and went to live in the Jamestown Colony to live with the English.
Iannone, Catherine. Pocahontas. New York: Chelsea House, 1995. Print.