Mount Vernon Estate
The riverside estate of George Washington includes the Ford Orientation Center and Donald W. Reynolds Museum and Education Center, facilities with 25 galleries and theaters, more than 700 artifacts, and interactive displays that introduce visitors to the real George Washington. The most famous dentures in the world are on display, along with three life-size models of Washington created from a forensic investigation. The historic area features the restored Mansion, original outbuildings, the tomb where the Washingtons are buried, beautiful gardens, and heritage breed animals who work at a four-acre farm site near the river. George Washington’s Distillery is now open April through October, and is located adjacent to the Gristmill.
George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and place of death and internment.
George Washington’s father, Augustine Washington, built a modest one and a half story farmhouse there in 1735. Washington’s elder half-brother Lawrence lived at the property from 1741 until his death in 1752. George Washington began leasing the property in 1754 and although he did not inherit it outright until 1762 , he expanded the house in 1758, raising the roof to make the Mansion two and a half stories high. In 1774, he added the north and south wings, the cupola and piazza to create the structure we see today