MAKING SALT WATER POTABLE
POTABLE- another word for drinkable
DESALINATION- the process of removing salt from ocean water
STEPS TO MAKING SALT WATER POTABLE ON YOUR OWN
1. Pour water into the bottom of the bowl
2. Add a few tablespoons of salt and stir well
3. Place the bowl outside in direct sunlight
4. PLace a cup in the middle of the bowl
5. Place plastic wrap over the bowl, push down to be above the top of the cup
6. Place a stone on top of the plastic wrap, directing above the cup
7. Put waterproof tape around the edges of the plastic wrap, no gaps
8. Leave your solar still in the sun for a few hours
9. Wait for the water to collect into the cup then taste it, you will find that it has no salt
DESALINATION BY EVAPORATION
1. Sunlight heats up seawater (saltwater)
2. Heated water evaporates, and salt is left behind
3. Water vapor saturated air and condenses
4. Fresh water falls into collection troughs
5. Salt is removed periodically
Salt Water is evaporated, and salt is left behind. then water vapor is condensed or returned to liquid form, as fresh water.
Desalination is expensive and not easy, if it was we wouldn't have water shortages.
OCEANS ARE IMPORTANT TO LIFE BECAUSE......
Cooking food, source of drinking, and taking shower/bath
SOURCE OF DRINKING
TALKING SALT WATER OUT OF SALT WATER WILL BE HEALTHY OR READY FOR US TO DRINK.
FRESH WATER IS NEEDED TO PREPARE AND COOK FOODS. SOME PEOPLE DON'T USE SALT FOR THEIR FOODS, IF THEY USE SALT WATER IT WOULD EFFECT THEM.
YOU CAN'T CLEAN YOURSELF WITH SALTWATER, FRESH WATER IS NEEDED.