A webpage by Matthew McKinnon
1. George Washington- was the fist president of the United States and one of the founding fathers of the United States. George Washington is ranked as the top 3 presidents of the United States. George Washington created the Farewell Address which states that Americans should avoid contact with foreign countries and to not join political parties.
2. Indian Removal Act- a law that was passed by Andrew Jackson that states Native Americans have to move to an area West of the Mississippi which is now known as Oklahoma in exchange for their Ancient homelands in the South. Native Americans were forced to leave their homes and march to Oklahoma. The trail they marched on is now known as the Trail of Tears.
3. The Alamo- the Battle of the Alamo was a crucial event in the Texas Revolution. General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna launched an attack on the Alamo killing all of the Texan defenders. Santa Anna's cruelty inspired many Texan defenders and the Texan Army bounced back and defeated the Mexican Army.
4. The Industrial Revolution- was the transition of hand made goods to manufacturing goods. This improved efficiency of water power, increasing the use of steam power, and the development of machine tools.
5. California Gold Rush of 1812- the gold seekers called "forty niners" traveled by sailing ship and covered wagon and often face hardships on the way to the trip. At first gold nuggets could be picked up off the ground but later you had to get gold out of streams by using techniques such as panning.
6. Joseph Smith and the Mormons- Mormonism is a religious cultural belief which was created by Joseph Smith in New York. After Smiths death the Mormons followed Brigham Young to an area that would later be called Utah.
7. The Oregon Trail- is a 2,200 mile wagon wheeled route that connected the Missouri River to valleys in Oregon. The Oregon Trail was laid out by fur trappers and traders and was only passable by foot or horse back. Later ranchers, miners, and farmers settled around the Oregon Trail.
8. War of 1812- lasted for over 2 years and was a war against the United States of America and Great Britain. The United States of American went into the War of 1812 because of trade restrictions because of Great Britain. The War of 1812 ended in a peace treaty that was signed in France.
9. Lewis and Clark Expedition- The expedition was authorized by president Thomas Jefferson after the Louisiana Purchase. The Primary purpose of the Louisiana purchase was to claim the land before any other foreign countries claimed it. The secondary purpose was to explore the wildlife and establish trade with Indian tribes.
10. The XYZ Affair- Americans were sent to French men to negotiate problems so there will not be a war. The Frenchmen tried to bribe the Americans and when President John Adams found out that the French men tried to bribe the Americans he was furious. John Adams was so enraged that he did not mention the French mens names he stated them as X, Y, and Z.
George Washington was best known for being the first president of the United States. George Washington was known for many other things such as being the General of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. George Washington was elected president in the year of 1788-1789 and was reelected in 1792. Washington believed in a strong and well financed government. Washington believed that the United States of American should not get involved in Wars happening in other parts of the World such as Europe. George Washington served two terms in his presidency and is known today as one of the founding fathers of our country. After George Washington's terms as president he created the Farewell Address which states that America should not get involved with wars happening outside America and that Americans should try to stay out of political parties.
1793-Eli Whitney's cotton gin was created in 1793. A cotton gin is a machine that easily separates the cotton fibers from their seeds. This is much easier than doing it manual and was a great invention that was made during the industrial revolution.
1794-The Whiskey Rebellion started in 1794. The outbreak was caused because they put a tax on whiskey. George Washington quickly crushed the rebellion and showed that the government used force if necessary.
1796-Washington's Farewell Address was created in 1796. In Washington's Farewell Address he stated that Americans should avoid joining political parties and not getting involved in wars happening outside the United States.
1798-In 1798 the Federalists passed The Alien and Sedition Acts which allowed the president to imprison "aliens" or immigrants if they posed a threat.
1800-The Election of 1800 was a very close election. It was between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson and the election resulted in a tie. The house of Representatives chose Thomas Jefferson by a single vote.
1804-On 1804 Lewis and Clark set out for their expedition to explore the Louisiana purchase that the United States recently bought. Many Native Americans helped Lewis and Clark but Sacagawea helped them the most.
1816-In 1816 James Monroe was elected to be the sixth president of the United States. James Monroe was a symbol of the era of good feelings. James Monroe was also popular for creating the Monroe Doctrine which states that the United States would not inter fear with existing European colonies in North America and in return European colonies will no longer try to colonize North America.
1820-The Missouri Compromise was created in 1820. Henry Clay helped establish the Missouri Compromise, where Missouri would be admitted into a slave state and Maine would be admitted into a free state.
1823-President Monroe issued the Monroe Doctrine in 1823. The Monroe Doctrine stated that the United States would not mess with any existing European colonies in North America in exchange for Europe not to try to takeover the United States.
1880-The Indian Removal Act was created in 1880. Andrew Jackson passed the Indian Removal Act, where Indians were forced to move to an area West of the Mississippi in exchange for their southern homelands. The trail they marched on is now known as the trail of tears.
The California Gold Rush
There as been a gold nugget found in California. Many people from all over the World are going to try and get their hands on a golden nugget. If they find a golden nugget they could be instantly rich and never have to work again. The only problem is if you do not find gold and strike it rich in California then you may not have enough money to return home because it costs a lot of money just to go to California. Also so many people are finding gold there is beginning to be less and less of it so it is now harder to find. One more thing you have to lookout for in California is the crime. Since there are no laws there people pretty much do whatever they want and get away with it. People get robbed in California and also can get terrible diseases that can kill you. So before you go to California just think about is it worth it?
California Gold Rush White Bean Chili
Ingredients- navy beans, sweet potatoes, onions, red and green peppers, celery, paprika, garlic and spices, 1 pound of fresh ground turkey, and 14 ounce can of artichoke hearts
Preparing the Beans:
- Rinse, drain and pick over.
- Place in a bowl with 8 cups water and soak for 4 hours at room temperature or for a “quick soak” boil for 10 minutes and let stand for 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place in a 4 quart pot with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or more.
While Simmering the Beans:
- Sauté turkey in oil over medium heat.
- Stir in vegetable packet and artichoke hearts.
- Add broth and drained beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Optional: Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, and/or sour cream.
Thomas Jefferson was a great man. He was born on April 13, 1743. He was born in Shadwell Virginia. Thomas Jefferson died in Charlottesville Virginia on July 4, 1826. Jefferson was born into a wealthy family. Jefferson's mother was Jane Randolph Jefferson and was a member of the Randolph clan. She was descendent from English and Scottish royalty. Jefferson's father was Peter Jefferson and was a successful farmer. Peter Jefferson also was a surveyor and a cartographer that made the first accurate map of the Province of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson was the third born child out of ten children. Thomas Jefferson was the author of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States. Thomas Jefferson was also the governor of Virginia. Jefferson was also considered one of the Founding Fathers of the United States.
By the Numbers
"The Curse" of Tecumseh killed 7 presidents.
John Adams won the election of 1796 against Thomas Jefferson 71-68.
During the Battle of the Alamo 182-257 Texans were killed.
During the Battle of the Alamo around 600 Mexicans were killed.
1,877 Americans were killed in the War of 1812.
There were 243,885 British soldiers in the War of 1812.
There were 7,000 American soldiers in the the War of 1812.
There were 6,000 British soldiers stationed in Canada in the War of 1812.
There were 500 British navy ships in the War of 1812.
There were around 4,000 wounded American soldiers in the War of 1812.
The Alamo was a crucial event in the Texas revolution. Mexican troops under Antonio de Santa Anna launched an assault on the Alamo killing all of the Texan defenders. Santa Anna's cruelty inspired the Texan's to join the Texan army. The Texans later defeated the Mexican Army at the Battle of San Jacinto. Even though the Texan's did not stand a chance against the Mexican Army because the Mexican Army was much bigger the Texans still fought hard and later gained back Texas. The Alamo was a turning point in the Revolution because the Texans showed that they could fight off the Mexicans even though that the Texans lost the battle.