CPR: How to Save a Life
By: Maggie Collier
1. Accident: An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
He accidentally pushed me down on the soccer field.
2. Breathing: The process of taking air into and expelling it from the lungs.
After she ran a mile she was breathing really hard.
3. Choke: When an animal or a person have severe difficulty in breathing because of a constricted or obstructed throat or a lack of air.
My little cousin choked on a Cheerios at breakfast because she was laughing so hard.
4. Emergency: A serious, unexpected, and often dangerous situation requiring immediate action.
My grandma called my mom because she had slipped and fell, it was a very unexpected emergency.
5. Faint: A sight, smell, or sound barely perceptible.
My brother fainted when he saw the blood coming out of my toe.
6. First Aid: Help given to a sick or injured person until full medical treatment is available.
I had to give first aid to one of my friends because he fell and cut his toe.
7. Heartbeat: The pulsation of the heart.
My dog's heart beat was really fast after he chases his chew toy.
8. Pulse: A rhythmical throbbing of the arteries as blood is propelled through them, typically as felt in the wrists or neck.
My sister wanted to check my pulse to practice for nursing class.
9. Rescue: Save someone from a dangerous or distressing situation.
I rescued my best friends cat from the tree in my yard.
10: Respiration: the action of breathing.
Respiration is very important because it is the action of breathing.
11. Abdominal Thrusts: A first aid procedure used to treat choking.
Abdominal thrusts could come in hand if someone began to choke.
12. (CPR) Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation: It is an emergency lifesaving procedure that is done when someone's breathing or heartbeat has stopped.
My brother learned how to give CPR when he was in Boy Scouts.
13. Universal Precautions: An approach to infection control to treat all human blood and certain human body fluids.
Universal precautions is very important to know about.