Week of 5/11/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- May 11, 18
- June 1, 8
- 5/15: Half Day (11:30 Dismissal)
- 5/13 & 5/20: GP Writing Assessments
- 5/18 & 5/27: Math NWEA Assessments
- 5/22: Talent Show (Gr. 3-5 Performances)
- 5/25: No School (Memorial Day)
- 6/2: Field Day AM (6/5 rain date)
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-12:30. Picnic lunch to follow at Mason. Packets were sent home last week. Please return forms ASAP. Thanks!
- 6/8: Author’s Tea (9:30-10:30) – Join us in our room for a special reading from each of our first grade authors. Come enjoy some stories and refreshments!
- 6/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 6/11: Last Day of School (11:30 dismissal)
Friday: Half Day
- sight words: for, on, they, but has, we, am, then, little, down
- word focus: plurals
*Spelling test on sight words every Friday*
We will continue to focus on character traits this week. Students will be reading from books where they will identify the appearance and behaviors of a character. These have been worked on as a whole class with the help from mentor texts.
All About Frogs has been finished! Frog folders went home this week. We will spend the next month reviewing appropriate sentence structure and punctuation. We will also be focusing on poetry through the help of our New Plants science unit.
We will begin our New Plants unit during the month of May. Students will care for their own Brassica and grass plant cups during this unit. Students will have their own New Plant Journal where they will document the growth, what a plant needs to survive and practice the responsibilities required to care for a living thing…now they will know how you parents feel :)
- END OF THE YEAR PARTY INFORMATION PACKET:Packet was sent home in Boomerangs and can be found on my website under “newsletters”. Please keep the first two pages of the packet for your reference. The packet includes an RSVP form, Hunt’s Gym waiver and a permission slip. Please fill out the necessary forms and return with your child. A SignUpGenius will be emailed out closer to the party date for our picnic lunch.
- Grosse Pointe Writing:First graders will take their Grosse Pointe Writing Assessments on Wednesday, 5/13 and Wednesday, 5/20. The goal is for students to include a clear beginning, middle and end and first-grade foundational skills such as capitals and punctuation. Thank you for sending your children to school with full bellies and words of encouragement on testing days.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms of Room 206! We hope you like your present :)