Horizon Elementary School
Horizon Eagles Finish Strong!
The end of the year is quickly approaching. There are lots of upcoming tasks, things to remember, activities and events left before our summer send off.
Students in grades 3-6 will begin Aspire Testing on Monday, April 13, 2015. The complete schedule for all testing dates and times found on our website under Latest News or by clicking this link.
It is our sincere desire for all of our students to do their best. Our counselor, Mrs. Patti Bill, has provided some helpful tips to prepare students for successful testing.
The following are some things you can do at home to help your child do his or her best during testing:
- Help your child feel confident about taking the tests. Express confidence in your child’s ability to do well.
- Make sure your child goes to bed early enough to get plenty of rest.
- Set the alarm a little early in order to allow your child to get ready without rushing.
- Help your child select clothing that is comfortable and lay it out the night before to avoid frantic searches in the morning.
- Have school materials together and ready to be put in the backpack.
- Make sure your child eats a nutritious breakfast each morning. If they are not breakfast eaters, make sure they drink milk or juice.
- Please make sure your child is on time each day! School starts at 7:40. The carline opens at 7:10 and closes at 7:35.
- Have two #2 pencils with erasers for your child each day.
Student progress reports for grades 3-6 will be sent home on Monday, April 13, 2015. Students progress reports for grades K-2 will be sent home on Monday, April 27, 2015.
The PTA will have its next meeting on Monday, April 13, 2015 at 6:00 P.M. in the cafeteria. An important message from the PTA President, Mr. Chris Cornelius:
The Horizon PTA will be opening the floor to officer nominations at our PTA meeting on Monday. Anyone is welcome to come and nominate themselves or someone else to a position.
The open positions are: President, Vice President of Programs, Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Volunteers, Secretary and Treasurer.
I will be available for questions before the meeting if anyone has any questions about duties or responsibilities.
Friday, April 17, 2015 is a half-day for students. School will be dismissed at 11:00. There will be no extended day.
Earth Day Heroes-Please Vote!
Horizon has several classes participating in the Earth Day Heroes Contest. The winning class will receive technology tools AND a field trip to a Nature Preserve, plus a class pizza party! Voting is open until April 20. Please click the button below to find instructions on how to vote!
Horizon 6th graders will participate in the Madison City Schools Sports Spectacular to be held at Bob Jones High School on Friday, April 24, 2015.
Field Day-AR Celebration
On Friday, May 1, 2015, students in grades K-5 will have field day. It will be a day of fun activities for all. Our AR celebration will also takes place on May 1st.
Volunteer Appreciation Day
On Friday, May 1, 2015, we will be showing our appreciation for all of the volunteers that have given Horizon their tremendous support and countless hours of volunteer service. We will have a hospitality area set up for our volunteers to join us for breakfast and/or lunch. Stop by and accept our gesture of thanks and gratitude for all that you do to make Horizon great!