Information Technology in a Global Society - Chapter 14 (page 292)
ITGS - Adrian Barela
Filtering by individuals
- can be preformed by home users, organizations, or business depending on their needs
-Businesses use to often block social media sites for their employees
-School districts often block websites that could be potentially harmful to students
- Internet routers often include firewalls which configure to block particular websites, a network servers software can produce the same effect.
- Proxy servers are used to go around the black listed websites set up by these firewalls or software.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) is used to send and receive encrypted data along the same lines as a proxy.
Content rating systems
- these work by categorizing a web sites content and then configuring web browser to allow or disallow access.
- some websites rate themselves based on categories such as drug use, ban language and violence.
- Internet Content Rating Association (ICRA) tried going to websites and rating them based on the following categories, they were later discontinued in 2010
- Search Engine filtering is filtering our web searches.
- masks the real IP with another IP address.
- informed what blocked
- '404' error
- accidental blocking of business websites can cause long and short term effects
- quick and simple review of the websites are needed
- some web filters are 'dirty'
- Cultural diversity