Head of Finance for a Leading Boston & NY Seed Venture Fund
Founder Collective is a leading seed stage venture fund invested in companies such as Uber, Buzzfeed, and Makerbot.
Founder Collective is an early-stage venture capital fund based in Boston and NYC that has a mission to be the most aligned fund for founders at the seed stage. We’re a fund built by former entrepreneurs and have made seed investments in nearly 200 companies. Founder Collective has over $100M under management across two funds. We are looking to bring on a startup-minded, Head of Finance.
You’ll be responsible for evolving our strategic approach to capital management/reporting, managing our audit compliance activities, and executing the day-to-day operation of a small, talented team determined to make a dent in the universe by funding early-stage startups.
About the Role
You’ll have broad responsibility, but a limited team. We’re not looking for a traditional “CFO” who wants to manage a large finance department. We have a four person investment team, but we’re highly active across a diverse portfolio. You will have access to a broad range of service providers to supplement your expertise and to help manage the complexity of a portfolio featuring nearly 200 companies across the globe.
The Founder Collective culture can be described as a handful of empathy for what it takes to start a venture from scratch, a fist of strong-willed conviction, many doses of humility, and a pinch of chutzpah, determination and humor (2 tbsp). Like a startup, we’re constantly evolving and learning as we go.
We’re Looking to Find a Person Who Has:
- A background in finance at a VC, PE, or other private financial partnership
- Someone who thrives in a high velocity, complex fund structure and can contribute both on accounting and finance strategy
- Familiarity with FASB standards around venture investment valuation and reporting
- An ability to track key financial metrics, communicate them regularly to the team and identify opportunities for the fund
- Embraces tools to track over a hundred investments, their financings, valuations, ownership, earnouts and other activities of an active portfolio
- Skill set to own and develop financial reporting/controls, FASB/SEC compliance, tax management, cash forecasting, and effective management reporting
- An ability to supervise and develop core accounting functions: A/P, payroll, billing, collections, payroll, wire transfers, month-end closes and all related financial transactions for the fund
- Experience managing key external relationships and functions: external audit, tax advisors, and banking compliance
- Financial reporting & accounting expertise to prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements
- A BA/BS in finance, accounting or related discipline with advanced degrees—CPA, MBA, CMA—highly valued
- Knowledge of legal terms and documentation that surround GP/LP/Fund relationships as well as fluency with investment terms for early stage venture financings
Compensation is commensurate with experience, but includes generous benefits and an equity position in the fund.
We’re located in the heart of Harvard Square, a stone’s throw from the Charles River, Crema Café, and some of the brightest business thinkers in the world.
You’ll have a front row seat to our generation’s industrial revolution. In the last year we’ve funded a self-driving car company, social networking apps, and booster rockets for micro-satellites. Having the opportunity to work on this stuff makes us want to waltz to work and it should for you as well.
Founder Collective is an equal opportunity employer. Please send resumes to email@example.com.