How do you get it?
Mononucleosis (mono for short) is caused by a virus called Epstein-Barr or EBV. This is the same virus that causes cold sores and chickenpox. Mono is a contagious illness that is spread through saliva. There are many different ways to get mono, but some include: sharing straws, toothbrushes, water bottles, lip gloss or even food!
Signs and Symptoms? Check below!
- Mono leaves you really, really tired.
- Sore throat
- Swollen lymph nodes (infection fighting glands in your neck)
- Sore or weak muscles
- CAUTION: Mono is easily mistaken for strep throat or the flu because a lot of the symptoms are the same.
Want to get rid of it? Here's what you do:
- The best way to fight the illness is to get PLENTY of rest! Even if it includes not going to school, playing sports or playing with friends.
- Make sure you have plenty of fluids in your body! The more water, the better!
- Listen to your body and take it easy!