Omaha Zoo Trip: Hi Destiney!!!
May 5, 2014
This trip was not only education, but also fun with friends.
Henry Doorly Zoo
Common Name: Arapaima, Pirarucu, or Paiche Scientific Name: Arapaima gigas
Biome: Fresh water Home Range/Habitat: Amazon and Orinoco River in South America.
FISH ADAPTATIONS SPECIES ADAPTATIONS
1) Eyes on the side of the head. 1)The size (more than 10 feet) scare others.
2) Gills 2)Skin color- camouflage
3) Swim bladder 3)Dorsal fin
4) Scales 4)Predator
5) Powerful tail 5)Fresh water
Common Name: American Bullfrog Scientific Name: Lithobates catesbeianus
Biome: Forest Home Range/Habitat: Native to North North America
AMPHIBIAN ADAPTATIONS SPECIES ADAPTATIONS
1) Webbed feet 1) Can see in color
2) Slimy skin 2) Green skin = Camouflage
3) Lungs 3) They are long = long jumps
4) Strong legs = jumping 4) Has toxins to get away from predators
5) Bulge eyes for increased angles of vision 5) Can absorb oxygen through skin from water.
Common Name: Komodo Dragon or Scientific Name: Varanus komodoensis
Biome: Grasslands and forest Home Range/Habitat: Indonesian islands of Komodo, Rinca, Flores, Gili Motang, and Padar.
REPTILE ADAPTATIONS SPECIES ADAPTATIONS
1) Skin color = Camouflage 1) Powerful legs
2) Tail shed = Quick getaway 2) Bacteria toxin in mouth
3) Thick skin = less water loss 3) Shark-like teeth
4) Cold-Blooded 4) Long tongue
5) Hibernate in winter 5) Strong tail
Common Name: Laughing Kookaburra Scientific Name: Dacelo novaeguineae
Biome: Woodland thats wet Home Range/Habitat: Eastern and Southern and cold. Australia and Tasmania.
BIRD ADAPTATIONS SPECIES ADAPTATIONS
1) Feathers 1) Live in extended family groups
2) Beak 2) Very sociable
3) Wings 3) Strong feet = Good grip and stance
4) Coloration 4) Known for their laughing
5) Size 5)Eat reptiles and rodents unlike the other Kingfisher family that eats fish.
Common Name: Amur Tiger Scientific Name: Panthera tigris altaica
Biome: Grassland and Jungles Home Range/Habitat: Amur River Valley in Russia.
MAMMAL ADAPTATIONS SPECIES ADAPTATIONS
1) Fur 1) Claws are help hunt, they are also retract.
2) Give birth to offspring 2) Have three to four cubs every 3.5 months, some had seven though not all live.
3) Teeth adapt to what is eaten 3) Sharp teeth to rip flesh.
4) Have lungs 4) Long front legs = longer jumps
5) Travel in groups 5) Flexible backbone helps catch prey faster.