Let's Learn Hebrew! Review Quiz
Read through the following questions and select/ write the correct answer. If the answer is false, please write the correct answer as best as you can on the lines below :
1) Hebrew is read from left to right. True or False ____________
2) There are _________letters in the Hebrew Aleph Bet.
3) Modern Hebrew and Biblical Hebrew are the same thing. True or False ____________
4) It is proper to write Hebrew in a strict set fashion. True or False _________________
5) The earliest Hebrew text was written in the form of pictographs.
True or False __________________
6) One can freely the pictographs and establish the application of a word based on the meaning of the letters which make up the word. True or False ___________________ ______________________________________________________________________
7) There is only one applicable definition for each Hebrew word.
True or False _______________
8) There are no punctuation marks in the Biblical Hebrew Texts.
True or False ____________________
______________________________________________________________________9) When words are repeated in Biblical Hebrew it is for emphasis.
True or False ____________________
______________________________________________________________________10) There are enlarged, shrunken, flipped, broken and missing letters in the Biblical Hebrew texts. True or False ______________________
11) The actual Kosher Torah scrolls are a microcosm of what Biblical structure? ____________________
12) Ancient Hebrew contained no Hebrew vowels as distinct letter forms, vowel sounds were added to the readings by means of oral tradition and long-established usage.
True or False ________________________
13) Rabbis known as the Masoretes whose work reached from the sixth to the tenth centuries CE. instituted a system of dots and dashes to indicate how words were to be pronounced. True or False ________________
14) Torah scrolls and most contemporary Hebrew writing are still written without vowels. True or False ________________________
14) The Hebrew Language is known as Lashan HaKodesh- the Sacred Language.
True or False _____________________
14) Pious Jews will extend great efforts to honor the actual books, pages, any material on which the sacred name of the Lord - Yud Hey Vav Hey- is written.
True or False: __________________________
15) Eliezer ben Yehuda is considered the father of Modern Hebrew. He developed a vocabulary for Modern Hebrew, incorporating words from ancient and medieval Hebrew, in addition to creating new words. Eliezer ben Yehuda's efforts were widely accepted my the majority of the Jewish people.
True or False___________________
16) Learning the Biblical Hebrew is essential for all believers in the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob for the fact that they will be enabled to know what the words of their bible actually say in the original language without the filter of a translation.
True or False ________________
Explain your answer: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
17 ) Look at the Hebrew letters below. Identify each one, practice writing it and write it's transliterated name. Example: ם = ם final mem
18) Hebrew has two main dialects: a particular form of a language that is peculiar to a specific region or social group. These two groups are Ashkenazic and Sephardic. Ashkenazi Jews pronounce the letter Tav as Sav. Here are some examples of transliterated Hebrew words, circle the words the way the Sephardic Jews will pronounce them.
Shabbos שַׁבָּת Shabbat שַׁבָּת
Shemot שְׁמוֹת Shemos שְׁמוֹת
Bereshit בְּרֵאשִׁית Bereshis בְּרֵאשִׁית
19) The Dagesh is a dot placed within certain Hebrew letters. It will effect the pronunciation of that consonant letter. If there is a dagesh in the letter it has a harder pronunciation . True or False _____________________
20) Look at the following Hebrew Letters. Practice writing the letter and write the transliterated name of the letter. Write the 'meaning' of each Hebrew letter.
Ex: א = א aleph - strong, leader, ox
21) Explain which of the letters which are giving you any 'trouble' either identifying or writing: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Extra Credit": 10) what is the purpose of this? (enlarged, etc. Hebrew letters in the text.)