7.3 Omaha Zoo Trip
May 1, 2014
Common Name: Silver Arowana
Scientific Name: Osteoglossum bicirrhosum
Biome: Fresh Water
Habit: Amazon River
Fish Adaptations: Silver Arawana Adaptations:
1) Gills for breathing underwater. 1)Teeth for chewing their prey.
2) Fins for steering where they want to go. 2) Male guards his offspring in his mouth.
3)Air Bladder for controlling their depth. 3) Can jump two feet out of the water to catch their prey.
4) Lateral line for 'hearing' underwater. 4) Live in freshwater.
5) Tails to help move through water. 5) Build nests before eggs hatch.
Common Name: File eared tree frog
Scientific Name: Polypedates otilophus
Biome: Lowland Rain forests
Amphibian Adaptations: File Eared Tree Frog Adaptations:
1) Stay wet for hydration. 1) Large Eyes
2) Lay eggs in water 2) Can climb trees
3) External Fertilization 3) Big toe pads
4) Breathe through skin 4) Feed on insects
5) Keen eyesight 5) Give off a musty smell
Common Name: Komodo Dragon
Scientific Name: Varanus komodoensis
Habitat: Indonesian Islands
Reptile Adaptations: Komodo Dragon Adaptations:
1) Leathery eggs 1) Poisonous Saliva
2) Rough Skin 2) Large Size
3) Cold Blooded 3) Powerful Legs
4) Camouflaged skin 4) Serrated teeth
5) Slow Metabolism 5) Strong Jaw
Native to North America*
Common Name: Burrowing Owl
Scientific Name: Athene cunicularia
Habitat: Old prairie dog holes.
Bird Adaptations: Burrowing Owl Adaptations:
1) Wings to fly 1) Brown Feathers for camouflage
2) Bills to crush their food 2) Live in old prairie dog tunnels
3) Endothermic 3) Mimic a rattlesnake's rattle
4) Lay eggs 4) Cover their nest with dung to attract insect prey
5) Very good eyesight 5) Can turn head 180 degrees around
Common Name: Cheetah
Scientific Name: Acinonyx jubatus
Mammal Adaptations: Cheetah Adaptations:
1) Fur on body 1) Claws cannot retract
2) Warm Blooded 2) Can run at 70 m/h
3) Highly Developed Brain 3)Hunts During the Day
4) Specialized Teeth 4) Special Pads on feet for suddenly stopping
5) Four chambered heart 5) Camouflaged fur to hide in shrubs.