The Science and Art of Counseling
* Help you interact more INTENTIONALLY with a client
*Basic at bottom, complex at top
*Master one skill--ready for the next
*Solid foundation always there
*Enhanced through practice
RESPECTFUL multicultural counseling
U=unique physical characteristics
L=location (residence & language differences)
What new counselors tend to do...
*look for "the right" thing to say
*go straight to problem solving
*work too quickly
We are NOT advice givers or problem solvers!
General Counseling Tips...
1. Focus on client strengths and assets
2. Understand the client's world
3. Allow the CLIENT to lead
4. Look for resources--it's the foundation for change
5. Focus on what the client CAN do--not what the client CANNOT do
6. Find a time when they have succeeded
7. Introduce new ways of thinking, talking, and feeling about themselves
8. WORK INTENTIONALLY
9. Be flexible--you may have to try several ways to help