My Beliefs about Students
My teaching style towards students is based on the idea that students are the main foundation to which learning and development thrives from. They are, in a sense, their own teachers. I am simply there to help encourage the positive development and support them with a guideline to learn the proper curriculum. Through group work, discussion, and creativity students have the ability to further their skills and thoughts. I feel as though this method not only cultivates a student’s knowledge, but their life skills as well. Therefore, I would be considered a constructivist.
All students have the ability to learn.
- Even though not all students may learn the same way or at the same pace, that does not mean they do not have the capacity to learn.
Accommodation: Since not all students learn the same way, to adjust to suite more students’ learning needs, I will apply a lot of creativity to multiple teaching techniques to help students understand and comprehend in various learning styles.
Students have opinions.
- Students are humans too with opinions just like you and I. It is vital to listen and allow them to voice their beliefs, so they have the opportunity to develop individuality and expressive thoughts.
Accommodation: Through group discussions and personal projects, it will evoke students to expand on what they may or may not be feeling. This will teach them how to efficiently express their thoughts and ideas.
"Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."
Students will strive for success.
- Nobody hopes to fail; it simply comes with life. Students, when struggling to grasp a new concept or learn a new idea, can become discouraged when they fall short of their goals, but will always tend to strive for the best.
Accommodation: Give students feedback in order to acknowledge success and be there for students to help them aspire, achieve, and improve. It is your job to be that extra push or help they may need to succeed.
Students are curious.
- Being young and uninformed, students are curious about the unknown. They have a hunger to understand, but sometimes do not have the tools or resources in order to do so.
Accommodation: Stoke the fire by providing information and knowledge through engaging and creative manners. It is important for students to feel the need and excitement to learn new things and develop the skills to eventually do so individually.
Students are always growing.
- Not only literally, but students are always adapting and growing mentally as time moves forward. They continually develop new ideas, skills, ideologies, and more.
Accommodation: It is important to manifest this progress and help them to always be learning, so they become lifelong learners. By knowing and understanding the curriculum, you can help them to learn and develop in the areas that will become the base of the concepts of the following curriculums.
Students have the ability to make change.
- There comes a time when a student will come across a topic or idea that fires a passion within.
Accommodation: It is a teacher’s responsibility to encourage this excitement, so the student can learn to apply their beliefs to real world issues. We are creating a generation with the ability to move mountains if they so desire, so we need to create positive relations with them and show them they can do anything if they set their mind to it. We need to be role models.
All students desire and deserve to be treated fairly.
- Although not all students are the same, they all feel the need to belong, be respected, and be treated with kindness.
Accommodation: Since not everyone is equal, they should not be treated equally, but fairly in contrast to everyone else. Through effective planning guides, you can be prepared for issues regarding fair treatment by taking in to consideration a student’s learning needs. This allows for fair learning in the classroom environment.
Students have the ability to reflect and revaluate.
- All students have ideas as to how something can be improved.
Accommodation: As teachers, we need to show them how to effectively analyze and criticize something in order to learn from it. It is a subconscious skill that can be manifested to become a critical skill that can help them in their future.