By Leigha Cowden
- What is the characterization or definition of your mental illness? Periods of elevated moods and depression. Elevated moods are also know as Mania, During Mania individuals abnormally feel happy,energetic or irritable. During periods of Depression there may be crying, poorhttps://tackk.com/edit eye contact,and a negative outlook of live. The risk of suicide among people with this disorder is greater then 6% over 20 years, Self-Harm occurs 30-40% .
- How many people are affected by your mental illness? About 3% of people in the United States have bipolar disorder at some point in their life, Lower rates around 1% in other countries.
- How can someone tell if they have your mental illness? A Doctors or Psychiatric evaluation and blood test are needed to determine weather or not someone has Bipolar Disorder.
- What treatments exist to treat your mental illness? Treatments commonly include Psychotherapy and medications such as Mood Stabilizers, Lithium and Anticonvulsants. Treatments in Hospitals against a persons wishes my required at times if he or she is a risk to themselves or others. Behavioral problems may be manged with short-term Benzodiazepines or Antipsychotics.
- How can people get help for the treatment of your mental illness? Is by Hospitalization,Medications and Psychiatric help.
- What resources are available to help gain knowledge about your mental illness? There are different resources are available to gain knowledge about Bipolar Disorder here are links that will help you gain knowledge and understand this Mental Illness. You can also ask your Doctor about any problems you may be having. Seek help and talk to a family member or friend.
- Bipolar Disorder at DMOZ
- Bipolar Disorder overview from the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health website
- NICE Bipolar Disorder clinical guidelines from the U.K. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence website