Incomplete Dominance and Sickle Cell Anemia

FACTS ABOUT SICKLE CELL ANEMIA
  • The most common blood disease in the US that is inherited.
  • Because of the shape, blood easily clots and can block blood flow.
  • Even though the cells die after about ten to twenty days, production of new blood cells isn't fast enough to keep up with the dying cells.

FACTS ABOUT INHERITANCE PATTERN

  • The parents carry the trait but don't show it
  • Parents are heterozygous
  • 25% chance of the offspring having the disease, 50% chance of just having the trait, and 25% chance of not having the disease or trait. 1AA:2AS:1SS
  • Mutation in chromosome eleven
  • The mutation causes abnormal levels of hemoglobin  

Sources:
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/disorders/s...
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/sickle-cell-disease
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca

Comment Stream