Incomplete Dominance and Sickle Cell Anemia
FACTS ABOUT SICKLE CELL ANEMIA
- The most common blood disease in the US that is inherited.
- Because of the shape, blood easily clots and can block blood flow.
- Even though the cells die after about ten to twenty days, production of new blood cells isn't fast enough to keep up with the dying cells.
FACTS ABOUT INHERITANCE PATTERN
- The parents carry the trait but don't show it
- Parents are heterozygous
- 25% chance of the offspring having the disease, 50% chance of just having the trait, and 25% chance of not having the disease or trait. 1AA:2AS:1SS
- Mutation in chromosome eleven
- The mutation causes abnormal levels of hemoglobin