Consider a non-traditional occupation. A non-traditional occupation is defined as any job in which women or men make up less than 25% of the workforce. Today, many women and men are breaking down barriers to take up the careers they want.
The career cluster Architecture and Construction is typically thought of as a male dominant career. And there are also many different skills required to successfully work in this field, such as:
- Reading—Reading work-related information.
- Thinking Critically—Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem.
- Making Decisions—Thinking about pros and cons to choose the better answer
You also need to meet the following Educational requirements:
- Design—Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction—Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Customer and Personal Service—Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology—Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Administration and Management—Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing—Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Geography—Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- English Language—Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics—Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Clerical—Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology
The reason I chose this career was because you rarely see women in the business of Architecture, however men and women are working together to break down career stereotypes