Developing Leaders on the job
There are many ways to help leaders stretch themselves and develop themselves as part of their job. Here are some suggestions:
- Handle a negotiation.
- Work on a cross-functional project team.
- Resolve a conflict.
- Interview candidates
- Mentor /coach a new employee
- Run an internal meeting.
- Train others.
- Attend an external meeting for their
- Try another job/task.
- Shadow a colleague.
- Lead a cost-cutting initiative
- Lead an investigation.
- Implement a change.
- Reading books/articles.
- Organise a high profile event.
- Discussion and sharing with peers.
Ok, now how do we transform these activities into measurable results?
· Agreeing with the leader before the activity what the objectives are
· Previewing the activity with them beforehand, encouraging them to think through: how they are going to approach the activity? any challenges they foresee? how they're going to prepare for them?
· Reviewing the activity afterwards: how did it go? what did they learn? what worked well and they would do again? what would they do differently next time?