Average Annual Wage-$117,650
Entry Annual Wage-$24,710
Average Hourly Wage-$56.56
Entry Hourly Wage-$11.88
Participates in professional competitive athletic events to entertain sports fans.
- Follows established rules and regulations.
- Plays professional sports, and is identified according to the sport played, such as football, basketball, baseball, hockey, or soccer.
- Exercises and practices under the direction of an athletic trainer or coach to prepare for competitive events.
- Represents a team or professional sports club, and speaks to groups.
Work Hours and Travel
- Irregular hours
- Overnight travel
- Seasonal work
- Weekend work
- National Employment and OutlookOutlookstable The employment change from 2012 to 2022 is estimated to be +6.7%.
- (The National average for all occupations is +13%)Job Openingsvery small number Less than 1000 average annual openings are expected for this occupation between 2012 and 2022.
- (The National Average for all occupations is 7,242 openings)Employmentvery small occupation This was a very small occupation in the United States, employing 14,900 workers in 2012.
- (The National average for all occupations is 191,847 workers)GrowthSlower than average growth Competition for professional athlete jobs will continue to be extremely intense, with progressively more favorable opportunities in lower levels of competition. In major sports, such as basketball and football, only about 1 in 5,000 high school athletes become professionals in these sports. The expansion of nontraditional sports may create some additional job opportunities. Most professional athletes' careers last only a few years because of debilitating injuries. Therefore, yearly replacement needs for these jobs is high, creating some job opportunities. However, the talented young men and women who dream of becoming sports superstars greatly outnumber the number of openings. IndustriesLarge concentrations of this occupation are found in these industries
- Spectator sports (NAICS711200) (47.2%)
- Amusement, gambling, and recreation industries (NAICS713000) (18.6%)
- Self-employed workers, primary job (NAICS000601) (16.2%)
- Self-employed workers, secondary job (NAICS000602) (10.7%)
- Fitness and recreational sports centers (NAICS713940) (7%)